SELECTED POSITIONS AND PROJECTS
Urbanism and Planning Positions
- David Lewis Director of Urban Design and Regional Engagement: Director, Remaking Cities Institute, Carnegie Mellon University, School of Architecture, current.
- City Planning Director, City of Pittsburgh.
- Planning Director, City of Seattle.
- Director, Manhattan Office, Department of City Planning, New York City.
- Director, Van Alen Institute: Projects in Public Architecture.
- Transit-Oriented and Regional Design Director, Regional Plan Association.
Urban Waterfronts, Public Space and District-Scale Urban Design and Planning
- Speaking and Workshops. “High Water Marks: Reimagining the Urban Waterfront, Future of Smaller Cities” (Troy Innovation Garage, 2019)
- City Planning. Director of City Planning. Riverfront Zoning (approved 2018).
- Publication. “Complexity and Contradiction in the Transformation of Pittsburgh’s Riverfronts,” River Cities (Dumbarton Oaks, Harvard, 2018).
- City Planning, City Planning Director, Hays Woods Task Force (Pittsburgh, 2018-19).
- Publication, Principal Author. Success Looks Different Now: Design and Cultural Vitality in Lower Manhattan.
- Publication, Beyond the Edge, New York’s New Waterfront.
- Author. Prospect Parks: walking the Promenade Planteé and the High Line.
- Competition Advisor. Urban Intervention Design Competition.
- Exhibition and Publication Director. OPEN: New Directions for Public Space. Ray Gastil directed the exhibition and catalogue for a exhibition and catalogue on the direction of public space.
- Design Competition Director. TKTS Booth Design Competition.
- Teaching. Carnegie Mellon University, “Planning by Design: Campuses, Waterfronts, Districts and Cities,” 2015-2019.
- Organizer and Speaker. New Directions in Campus Urbanism. Colloquium.
- Speaker. Forum48. Invited speaker and roundtable participant. “Space, Place and the Future of Learning.”
Neighborhoods, Housing, and Sustainability
- City Planning, Planning Director. Inclusionary Zoning Committee (Pittsburgh, 2018).
- City Planning, Task Force Cochair and City Planning Director. Affordable Housing Task Force (Pittsburgh, 2016).
- City Planning, Planning Director. EcoInnovation District Community Plan.